Saturday, February 26, 2011

Plastic welders are the best tool ever

Used the plastic welder for the
first time today and it worked
awesome. I repaired the cracks
in this dash in about and hour.
Only had to dremel a little bit
after the plastic cooled.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Foil back sound barrier being installed.
Learned my lesson last time on using carpet
adhesive. This time I used RTV adhesive loaded
in a calk gun. Usually that stuff is really expensive but got it for $1.99 at NPS...greatest store ever!

Monday, February 14, 2011

One week later the truck is Green. The color is fairly intense and Brit hates it with a passion. Personally I like it a little more every time I work on it. Also just did the Herculiner this morning and the head liner. Everything will be black so I think it will tone down the green a little.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Engine compartment looks great, I am planning on
masking it off to keep it black. Here I have used
RTV sealant before I put the quarter panels back on. Should seal everything up real nice. Everything fit back on perfect after having welded the front on. All the bolt holes lined problems. Paint will be here Friday, expect lots of pics from this week end.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Engine compartment

This afternoon I spent most of the day getting
the engine compartment ready for paint. I sprayed the same epoxy I used for the under side of the
hood and the inside of the quarter panels. Bought
2 gallons of the stuff at the NPS store for $20.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Front quarter panels and bottom of hood have
been sprayed with a black anti rust coating.
Quarter panels have the first coat of 2K primer
on them.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

This is the most recent work as of yesterday
1/31/2011. I painted the back of the cab behind
the seats with a gloss black.
Also painted the inside door trim where you
would usually have the vinyl color of the
header. Currently waiting for carpet and paint.
Super cold out right now so now sure how soon
I will get to paint. The color is going to be a
bright green.

What looks like two quick steps here was a
lot of work. I cut the front end off of a 84
cabby. Then welded it to the front end of the
truck. It matched up perfect and was not that
difficult. Mig welded all the way around the
strut towers and then cover everything with
RTV sealant so there will be no rust at the

1980 Euro convert to TDI then Grease

This is the start of what will be the best caddy rebuild I have ever done. If you are interested in the process feel free to follow the blog. I am working on the truck almost every day so there is always progress. Here I have taken out all the old carpet and rolled the floor pan with a anti corrosion paint. This will get covered by new carpet.